The Legal Bits

Tips for keeping your event safe and legal:


Health and Safety - You are responsible for ensuring that anything you organise to raise money for Warwickshire Wildlife Trust complies with the law including the Heath and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the law relating to the supervision of children. Warwickshire Wildlife Trust cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury suffered by yourself or anyone else as a result of taking part in your fundraising event. Carry out a risk assessment by assessing all of the risks involved and then minimising them to an acceptable level. Consider First Aid and Fire Safety requirements.

Food hygiene - Please take great care when handling food and work to basic rules for safe preparation, storage, display and cooking. More information is available at

Data protection - Make sure any electronic or paper record you keep about people involved in your fundraising event complies with the Data Protection Act. Do not share information or data about someone without their permission. Don't keep information about people any longer than necessary. If photos of children are being taken at your event with the intention of sending them to us to use in any publicity materials, please ask the children's parents or guardians to sign their consent.  

Insurance - Check that buildings and equipment are adequately insured. Insurance is often included in the hire fee but not always. You may need to consider arranging public liability cover for some events. This will protect you against claims made by third parties or injury or damage to property as a result of negligence. Warwickshire Wildlife Trust is unable to accept liability for any fundraising activity that you undertake.  

Alcohol or public licence - If your event involves the sale of alcohol and/or live or recorded music, dancing, showing of a film or performance of a play, an indoor sporting event (including a boxing or wrestling match), or any entertainment of a similar nature, you may need a licence from your local authority. Liaise with your local authority, the police and other relevant parties as necessary.

Collections - Public collections are donation collections that take place in a publicly owned place. Public collections are governed by strict legal requirements and are licenced by your local authority. Private collections are collections on private premises and do not need the permission of the local authority - they only require the permission of the owner of the premises concerned (e.g. pub, supermarket).

Raffles, lotteries and prize draws - You will need to be registered with your local authority to organise a raffle or lottery. The Institute of Fundraising website,, provides information on raffles and lotteries.