Wooded common land within the town of Kenilworth
Now a splendid LNR, the Common was created in 1756, providing rough grazing land dominated by typical heathland species and acidic grassland. Following the removal of grazing cattle in the 1800s, the site was colonised by oak and birch, now offering pleasant woodland walks.
Finham Brook babbles along the edge of the reserve, forming its southern boundary. Supporting a diverse range of aquatic invertebrates, the brook provides a rich fishing ground for the spectacular kingfisher, and a natural population of brown trout lurk in its shady waters.
Bisected by the Coventry to Leamington Spa railway, the reserve still retains some remnant heathland, now a rare habitat in Warwickshire. Bracken and wavy hair-grass prosper in areas with broom and heath bedstraw all further reminders of a habitat once common in the county.
Gorse and heather grow outside the reserve on undisturbed slopes where slow-worm and common lizard have been observed.
This reserve brings a delight with every season. Spring flowers punctuate the woodland floor with bursts of colour. Summer welcomes fairytale glow-worms, autumn a range of fungi including amethyst deceiver, ugly milkcap and fly agaric, whilst a crisp winter visit provides clear viewing of colourful finches, tits and jays.