History of Warwickshire Wildlife Trust

Warwickshire Wildlife Trust was established in 1970 to protect and enhance our local natural heritage, and encourage people to get involved and make a difference.

  • 1956 - The West Midlands Trust for Nature Conservation is formed by eight members united in a common aim to protect the wildlife of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire.
     
  • 1957 - By the end of the first year, balance sheets record that the company had a total value of £66 2s 6d.
     
  • 1970 - Warwickshire, now independent, becomes Warwickshire Nature Conservation Trust, with 200 members and manages two wetland nature reserves, Alvecote Pools and Temple Balsall.
     
  • 1974 - An appeal is launched and with the help of Christopher Cadbury the first freehold nature reserve, Clowes Wood, is purchased for £100,000. First logo designed by Roger Smith.
     
  • 1975 - The finest orchid-rich grassland in Warwickshire, Draycote Meadows, is acquired.
     
  • 1978 - Caroline Pike is the first Conservation Officer to be appointed, later replaced by Margaret Wood in 1980. Membership reaches 2,000.
     
  • 1982 - Andy Tasker becomes the Trust’s youngest Chair of Council.
     
  • 1988 - Andy Tasker becomes the Trust’s first paid Director.
     
  • 1989 - The Trust, with the support of local residents, successfully oppose construction of a warehouse facility on what is now Claybrooks Marsh SSSI. Commercial subsidiary Warwickshire Wildlife Trading LTD is set up to train in practical landscaping and ecological consultancy.
     
  • 1990 - Warnact officially becomes Warwickshire Wildlife Trust.
     
  • 1992 - Brandon Marsh Nature Centre, Coventry is opened by Sir David Attenborough.
     
  • 1998 - Visitor and Education Centre is opened at Brandon Marsh. Membership reaches 7,000.                                                                           
  • 2002 - The Parkridge Centre, Solihull is opened by Professor David Bellamy. Membership reaches 16,000.
     
  • 2006 - Middlemarch Environmental, now one of the UK’s leading independent ecological consultancies, reaches a turnover of nearly £2 million.
     
  • 2011 - Membership reaches 23,300. 4,109 children visit Brandon Marsh and 27,983 visitors to Brandon Marsh.